SudsPundit

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Lion Stout



Lion Stout is a "tropical" stout, according to the esteemed Mr. Jackson. I'm not exactly sure what that entails stylistically, except that it's produced very near the equator (Sri Lanka, to be precise) and he suggests pairing with coconut-based curries.

It pours dark and...well, stout-colored. Though some pictures I've seen show it with a pretty thick and robust head, the bottle I'm drinking had little carbonation that dissipated quickly. The aroma is strong and roasty. Very light mouthfeel--almost thin--and slightly but not overwhelmingly bitter. Subtle hints of fruit and something not quite like candy sugar in the background. It finishes slightly dry on the pallet, and the alcohol presence is quite muted for an 8.0% beer.

It's hard to nail the overall impression down. I think if I were given this in a blind taste test and not told even what style it was, I might guess that it was an attempt at imitating a Belgian dark ale. Which isn't to say that it's bad, just...not what I would expect from a "stout".

I actually don't think it would stand up to very spicy food, but it might go nicely with chocolate or even a light, fruity dessert like ambrosia.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home