SudsPundit

Monday, May 09, 2005

Beer Blog Bleg

I know, I know, this place has been dead lately, so both of you who read this probably quit bothering to look a long time ago.

(Thanks, BTW, to Chris for getting the ball rolling once again.)

Anyway...I will be going to Germany next month. Only for a week, and I will be working the vast majority of the time. Still, I hope to take in some of the local beer culture while I'm there (obviously).

I went to Germany for a conference a couple of years ago, and found that my knowledge of German beer (specifically, of regional German beer styles) was sorely lacking. I got more than a few raised eyebrows asking for styles particular to southern Germany while in the northeast.

I'd rather not make this mistake again. The Germans, after all, do take their beer rather seriously.

So...if anyone out there knows anything about the styles particular to the western-central (i.e., near the Dutch border--I'm going to be in Munster) region, I'm all ears. Obviously, I can look this sort of thing up on my own...I'm primarily looking for personal experience.

Cheers!

8 Comments:

  • At 5:47 AM, Blogger chris said…

    I know how un-hip I am, but what the heck is a "bleg?" Blog descended from weblog. Webleg?

     
  • At 10:45 AM, Blogger Ken said…

    Via google search:

    Bleg

    verb. To use one's blog to beg for assistance (usually for information, occasionally for money). One who does so is a 'blegger'. Usually intended as humorous.

    Nice use of the obscure words.

    Sorry I've been seriously MIA on this site over the past couple of months. I am definitely intending to remedy that situation shortly once things quiet down here a bit. I haven't even posted on my own blog all that much lately either. Too many people have been picking up the slack for me and that has to stop.

     
  • At 11:24 AM, Blogger Brian said…

    Hey man--it's supposed to be fun. Post when you can. Don't stress.

    I know I don't.

     
  • At 10:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    A buddy of mine who was born and raised in Lich, Germany once brought (smuggled?) a few bottles of Licher back with him from a family visit. That was some fabulous beer, and I was sad he only had one bottle for me. Apparently Licher, like many German beers, is very regional and is not widely available outside Lich. Lich is closer to Frankfurt, so I'm not sure if it's available in Munster, but I'd recommend looking for it.

    Chhers!

     
  • At 10:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Err, "Cheers", I mean.

     
  • At 6:33 PM, Blogger Brian said…

    Thanks for the tip.

    I've been looking around, and it looks like a trip to the Altstadt in Dusseldorf might be in order. "Europe's longest bar" they call it.

    If I can bug out of the conference early one evening (and hopefully convince one of my German-speaking colleages to come along), I might just have to grab a train. It looks like it's about 1.5 hours away.

     
  • At 3:09 PM, Blogger upgrdyrgrymttr said…

    Give me specifics on where you'll be and I'll consult with my friends and family and get you a list of the important breweries to hit up. From the sounds of it, you may actual be in reasonable proximity to my families brewery.

    Prost bitch =)

     
  • At 11:34 AM, Blogger Brian said…

    Munster is in North Rhine/Westphalia, on the Rhine River, north of Dusseldorf. I will be staying in the city center.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home