SudsPundit

Monday, May 23, 2005

Sustainable Drinking?

I have mentioned my dream of growing hops for use in my/someone else's homebrew. The dream has become a little more viable today thanks to Craigslist:

free NW hops variety and trellis
------------------------------------------------
Reply to: (deleted) Date: 2005-05-15, 1:05AM PDT

I am moving from this house that I've been renting and have a homemade trellis to go with a hops plant for free. The trellis is supported by a closet rod and can be attached by brackets (also free) to your house. The idea is to get a south or west facing window on a tallish house (the trellis is about 12 feet tall) and provide this trellis so that the hops grows over it quickly in the summer and to shade out the hot light. I've done this for 3 years now and it's been great. The trellis is not very structural - it is made of vertical ropes and horizontal bamboo spacers - but 3 years of hops growth has left structural support in the way of old hops vines. It's kinda nice. It needs a good home. Consider this as a great little project. Bring a tarp or some plastic for the hops - it is currently residing in a large clay pot that I'm going to keep. Let me know when you'd like to check it out my email, or call (name and number deleted). Thanks.

this is in or around (deleted)
no -- it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

I emailed her about it, but doubt it will work out. However, it makes me realize that I know very little about what types of hops make great beer. Oh wise pundits of suds, please teach me about hops and what kind a girl should grow.

3 Comments:

  • At 4:21 PM, Blogger Brian said…

    Well...if you only ever used one variety of hops in the beer you made, you would be limiting yourself pretty severely. I've used as many as seven different varieties in one IPA.

    I have no idea what grows well were, but I imagine that most hop varieties would flourish in Oregon.

    So here's what I would do--find a hop variety that you can grow in Oregon that you especially enjoy the smell of. That way, even if you don't use all of it in beer (and don't use it exclusively), you will always enjoy having the plant around.

    For me, that would probably be Columbus, which I use a lot in my beer as well. However, you might want to get a good whiff of it for yourself first, because the smell is very strong. (Also, be judicious putting it in your beer--it is VERY bitter when boiled for more than about 10 minutes. I overdid it in this year's IPA, and I actually have a hard time drinking it. That should tell you something.)

     
  • At 12:25 PM, Blogger chris said…

    I'm a fan of the Cascade and Centennial hops myself.

    How many hops names start with C?

     
  • At 1:21 PM, Blogger Brian said…

    Chinook, Columbia (not the same as Columbus), Cluster, Challenger, Chelan, Comet, Crystal...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home