SudsPundit

Friday, June 17, 2005

New Glarus Belgian Red

Heavenly.

That's the only word I can come up with to describe this one. My only regret is that it's only available in Wisconsin.



If you like a good lambic, as I do, then you'll love this one. It's a fruit beer, but it has about 18 times the flavor of the Lindemans kriek. They say they use more than a pound of Wisconsin cherries for every 750 mL bottle and I believe them.

Nice and tart, as a cherry should be. And sweet, but just enough to make you want to take another sip because of a dry finish. It took substantial effort and self-control to not finish it in 30 seconds. A good foundation of barley and wheat flavors ensured that it was a beer and not a champagne. And aged Hallertau hops, one of my favorites, give balance to sweetness and a slightly floral aromatic.

If you only have one 750 mL bottle, make sure you only have about 4 or less friends around. Otherwise, you'll be pissed that you didn't get enough. And make sure you drink out of a champagne flute or a glass with a big opening. The champagne flute will give you the "champagne tickles", but a large-rimmed glass will give you a huge whiff of cherry flavor.

If you happen to get your hands on a bottle, don't waste it. Have it with a good chocolate dessert and a handful of close friends. That's why my first bottle was opened for my brother-in-law's wedding and my other bottle is being saved for a Tucson wedding in the fall.

2 Comments:

  • At 2:05 PM, Blogger Lisa said…

    Awww, that's so sweet for you to bring a bottle for Ken and me while we're in Tucson.

    Although I do find it rather unsettling that you didn't get any for Brian & Marsha. It is their wedding after all.

    sheeesh.

     
  • At 9:29 PM, Blogger Brian said…

    ...and that's why you're the Best Man...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home