SudsPundit

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Pictures of the kids

Beer is beautiful. At least it should be.

Whether it's the tiny bubbles settling in a well-poured Irish stout, Belgian lace coating the inside of a glass in snowflake-like patterns, or merely the the rich pallete of beer colors: obsidian, caramel, amber, red, gold, and straw--beer should be a feast for all your senses (I like the way it sounds, too).

So I thought I'd snap a few pictures of some brews near and dear to my heart while working on bottling this weekend.


Mole Porter, v. 3.0. Though beers tend to look darker in large volumes, this one is just as black in the glass.




Chris' hefeweizen, which I enjoyed while getting ready to bottle. Notice the excellent head retention. (Aside--this good beer, Muddy. I know it isn't what you were aiming for, but I think it's maturing into an interesting combination of flavors. Play with it a little and you might be on to a completely new style.)




Matrimoniale, my pride and joy. I was worried about this on the first few tastings, now it's all I can do to keep from drinking more than one at once. Not a beer for everybody, it's definitely more in line with the more aggressive Belgian trippels (think Westmalle, if you've ever had that). But I'm really, really happy with this one. I hope I can pull it off again.

9 Comments:

  • At 10:31 AM, Blogger Ben, aka BadBen said…

    Cute kids. If craved for one or drank one, would that make me a pedobacchus?

     
  • At 10:14 AM, Blogger chris said…

    Yeah, B. The hefe has grown on me, too. Very rarely have many of my homebrews aged this well. The strangest part is how much of the yeast has settled to the bottom of the bottle. I've been rolling them on the table to get the yeast back into suspension before I drink them. It appears that I'm a slight minority when it comes to enjoying the taste of the yeast along with the beer. It's probably a byproduct of tasting absolutley everything during every step of the brewing process.

     
  • At 9:45 PM, Blogger David Larsen, fine artist said…

    Beautiful!

     
  • At 2:36 PM, Blogger David Larsen, fine artist said…

    I was so inpired by your pictures that I posted one of my own. :)

     
  • At 2:48 PM, Blogger Brian said…

    Saw it. Nice!

     
  • At 9:04 PM, Blogger Beerme said…

    That belgian made my mouth water!
    Maybe you shouldn't be posting pictures like that, it's cruel.

    Nice blog!

     
  • At 6:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I brewed a belgian trippel once, and boy, it needs to age. Once it did though, I loved it. Your matromoniale looks lovely.

    As does the mole porter, since I flip for dark beers. Do you post recipes?

     
  • At 9:38 AM, Blogger Brian said…

    Hi Battlepanda,

    The recipe for mole porter is here, though I would recommend omitting the jalepenos and not spliting the dried chiles (just throw them in whole).

    The recipe for Matrimoniale is here.

    Chris posted his hefeweizen recipe here.

    If you try them out, please let us know how they turned out. Thanks for stopping by, B.

     
  • At 11:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hot damn! I had assumed that this one is called a mole porter because it looks so dark and velvety. Wow. The Chilis are going to give it a kick!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home