SudsPundit

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Hefeweizen II Update

First, too hoppy. Should have followed my original plan and kept the hops content lower. So I added about 60% more than origianlly intended. Very tempting when you're probably going to just throw the excess away. Guess I should have trusted that IBU calculator. Too much bitterness for a hefe, at least for me.

Second, not enough ester formation. Nowhere near as much aroma as when I used the White Labs Hefeweizen IV yeast. And a little more meaty, like an American hefe. Not cool. Widmer Bros. is okay, but I'll drink a Paulaner first any day.

So, lesson learned. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

But for the good news, my Puerto Rican taste tester seems to be absolutely in love with the stuff. And that's the true litmus test. Whether or not you can get your friends to drink it.

4 Comments:

  • At 8:25 PM, Blogger Ben, aka BadBen said…

    That's what's cool about homebrewing; we can drink our "mistakes."

     
  • At 10:27 AM, Blogger Brian said…

    I tried one of the ones you left here last night.

    The thing that struck me was the color: much more coppery than what most hefes look like. I agree the flavor was a bit bitter for the style, but not at all unpleasant.

    I got a bit of the banana estery flavor in the background...it's defintely there, but maybe not as much as you were hoping for.

    The other thing is you probably want a bit more head retention. That helps release more of the aroma. Do that and back off the hops and you might be pleasantly surprised at how much more of that banana comes through.

    Still--it's tasty, and I finished my glass. I will finish the other bottle in due time. Maybe you can call it an "American dark wheat ale"?

     
  • At 5:56 PM, Blogger marsha said…

    Chris I tasted your hefe and did find it rather tasty. The thing that struck me was that it lacked the texture that I associate with a hefe. But that just might be me. Other than that, I thought it was yummy.

     
  • At 12:14 PM, Blogger Kyle said…

    I thought it was getting your enemies to drink it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home