SudsPundit

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Letting Go

I bottled the Caramale tonight. Final gravity is 1.012, which brings the ABV to about 5.9%. It attenuated fast, and I didn't want to leave all the bottling to the weekend if I didn't have to (the Mole Porter is still going...it usually takes a while.) I'm not sure how it's going to turn out...usually, I tend toward beers with strong flavors, and this is a much milder brew. As a result, it doesn't taste like much of anything at the moment. Not bad, just not much there. Hopefully a little more age and carbonation will round it out a bit. I did end up dry hopping with one oz. of Chinook, so the aroma is quite nice at this point. Also, the color is gorgeous.

I poured out a few bottles left over from last year, something I've never done before. It felt pretty wrong, but I knew I wasn't going to drink any more overhopped/overgassed IPA. Plus, I needed the bottles...

It's good to let go sometimes. Life is just too damn short to drink substandard beer.

4 Comments:

  • At 11:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Indeed it is, hence this tip. Old Rasputin Imperial Stout is on tap at Zacharies.

     
  • At 9:19 AM, Blogger Brian said…

    Cool! Thank you...better get down there before it gets hot out again...

     
  • At 4:31 PM, Blogger Ben, aka BadBen said…

    My son's effort at brewing a strong ale a couple of months ago didn't turn out so well. He tried, but his taste buds wouldn't let it down his throat.

    His friend's thought it was great, though. He took the last 5 gallon keg to tailgating at the Chief's game last Sunday, and they polished it off quickly. Problem solved, and one more available corny keg!

     
  • At 4:21 PM, Blogger chris said…

    The Caramale is okay. It's a little dry for my tastes, but perhaps that's because I held it for three months before consuming it. A little hoppy for a brown ale, but not unpleasantly so. Superb head retention and beautiful dark amber red color.

    What kind of hops is this?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home