SudsPundit

Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Arcadia IPA



Tonight I'm having an Arcadia IPA.

'Tis no secret around here that the India Pale Ale is my favorite style, hands down. So I tend to jump at the opportunity to try a new one. As the label suggests, the Arcadia Brewing Company, though located in Battle Creek, Michigan, is driven by a "passion for full flavored and delicious British beer". All their ingredients, brewing equipment, and methods hail from Merry Olde England.

The result, in the case of the IPA, is true to form. My first impression was that it reminded me of Fuller's...or more precisely, how I remember Fuller's as it's been a couple of years since I had one.

Copper colored, excellent clarity. Just the right amount of head--enough to stir up the complex aromas of caramel, fruit, and of course hops, but still very smooth and and easy-drinking. The flavor is actually not overwhelmingly bitter or hoppy, but rather malty and perhaps even a bit of citrus-like acidity. Not as assertive as some IPAs (especially those brewed on the west coast), but a well-crafted and balanced beer, and an excellent introduction to the style if you've not had one before.

Unfortunately, I hear it's a little tough to get a hold of outside of Michigan and the Chicago area. So if you'll excuse me, I need to savor the rest of it...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home