SudsPundit

Saturday, March 25, 2006

Bridgeport Supris



This week Marsha and I got to taste the new Bridgeport Supris on tap at No Anchovies. I am definitely looking forward to many more as the weather warms. I brought home a couple of bottles on Friday night that didn't last the weekend in our fridge.

When I had it at NA, I couldn't quite place the flavor, or for that matter, the style. It's light and fairly sweet, with hints of citrus and pineapple. Not too much grain or hops, but enough that you still know it's beer. Kind of an estery background, like a hefe, but less so.

A lemon slice was offered, but I found it completely unnecessary.

Further reading (see link below) indicates that Bridgeport is experimenting with a Belgian yeast strain cultured from an unspecified bottle brought back to the States, and that this is the result (which would explain the fruity character of the beer). I found this especially interesting, as I recently learned that Duvel (one of the great beers of Belgium) is the product of Belgium brewers cultivating the yeast from a Scottish import.

One of the many things I love about beer--there's always a story behind it.
More info at Portland Beer Blog.

1 Comments:

  • At 2:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I discovered Surpris at the Laurelhurst last weekend. Pure yum.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home