SudsPundit

Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Fruity Ass Beer for Fruity Ass People

The question is who's gotten stupider, the mass market or the mass distributor?

Going against the grain in courting the young cocktail crowd, beermaker Anheuser-Busch Cos. is launching a new "brew" to go head-to-head with classic mixed drinks — traditional suds spiked with caffeine, fruit flavoring, herbal guarana and ginseng.

Fruity beer? Okay, maybe. I've always been a fan of the Belgian lambics and they're about as fruity as a beer can get. But where is A-B going with the root extracts and caffiene? It seems like combining beer, fruit soda, and Red Bull.

And how "fruity" is the name? B-to-the-E? Hip-hop market? But in their defense, "Crunk" was already taken.

Maybe this is what the new generation wants to drink. Something trendy. A little bit new age energy drink, a little bit old school brew. Of course, who ever accused A-B of old school brewing technique?

And maybe I'm completely wrong on this one, but I'm probably not.

3 Comments:

  • At 10:27 PM, Blogger Brian said…

    YEAAAY!!!

    OOKAAAY!!!

    WHAT?

    I tried to explain "crunk" to Marsha last night. I was at a loss. I guess that means I'm getting old or something.

     
  • At 2:10 PM, Blogger Kyle said…

    Anything that masks the flavor of Budweiser will be marked improvement.

    In DC, the El Salvadorans add 12oz of "champagne flavored soda" to pitchers of Bud. Tastes pretty damn good.

    You can get "champagne flavored soda" in any grocery store catering to Hispanics.

    So anywhere.

     
  • At 12:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I like to put sprite in my beer - tastes better that way (most of the time). So I might like fruity beer. Actually, two of my favorite beers are the chamomile beer Brian made for me, and Grant's mandarin hefeweizen which is fruity. Marsha

     

Post a Comment

<< Home