SudsPundit

Thursday, November 25, 2004

Nimbus Rye PA

We hit Nimbus last night. Nimbus is the largest craft brewery in Arizona, and most definitely the best. In the 5+ years that I've lived here, their pub has gone from a 12-foot lunch counter awkwardly positioned next to their loading dock serving nachos and microwave pizza, to a beautiful open-air space with a cool antique bar (c. 1920, I'm guessing), sleek, contemporary seating and tables (I know that sounds strange, but it works) and a full menu.

The beer, however, has always been good. Last night I had their seasonal ale, a "Rye PA", which is made with 10% rye and heavily hopped. Very nice, crisp, dry taste. The rye isn't overpowering, but rather sits quietly at the back of your palette reminding you that there is just something a little different.

This is only the second rye beer I've ever had, the first being the Quality Rye at Portland's Lucky Labrador. Nimbus's brew is much more hoppy and IPA-like (hence the name, I guess)...which I prefer.

Maybe I'll have to try my hand at some unconventional grains before this year's brewing season is out...

Happy Thanksgiving, all!

2 Comments:

  • At 3:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I really liked the Belgium white - I often find that the Belgium white genre of beer is too sweet - theirs wasn't. Yum. marsha

     
  • At 8:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hell yes, the Rye IPA owned. IMHO it tastes like extremely good pot smells. As regards the bar, it is indeed 1920's era straight from Al Capone's Chicago.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home